¨The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.” John 3:8

Monday, March 25, 2013

The Problem of Art


I have been thinking about art and the different expressions of it in various times and groups of people. It seems to me that in the first centuries art was predominantly centered about God and spiritual realities, whereas somewhere after the millennium a change occurred that was plainly seen in the artistic expression, paintings started to portray daily scenes of life, the songs and  lyrics started to talk about the mundane and also poetry and writings were devoted much more to  the human environments than to God and its spheres. The focus changed from the Creat-or to the creat-ed. I know I am overstating and making a gloss over all, since the Greeks were also much centered in the human form, etc…but I want just to look to this later change for now, the change that occurred after the millennium. 

It seems to me that this happened because a change of human consciousness, that let man be more disconnected from the spiritual realities, and more a free thinker, allowing then the display of all the technology that came after. But moreover than that, man was left hanging amidst a system of devotions that was not being effective anymore, the regular churches and their ministering were not helping humankind to be selfless, and to guide them to God for the renewing of their natures, on the other hand, they made them be hypocrites the same as in the time of the Pharisees. At that time also many of the Protestant, Anabaptist  and other movements started to give birth, in order to bring a different relation to the Creator that would make the renewal of their natures. Why there is so much art in the Catholic faith for example and not in the Plain people? I think the answer lies in the change that happened in consciousness: when people were still connected to the spiritual world in a matter of fact way, the art happened almost involuntarily, it was a natural reaction of the human being. After that an effort needed to be made to connect to the spiritual realities again and bring forth art. Who hasn’t heard the expression of  a writer for example saying: “oh, I have done nothing at all, it all came to me” Inspiration is the word that we use for that. But really, who knows about the spiritual realities behind every piece of art? As I sit here writing I am wondering, who put these thoughts in my mind really, and who is inspiring me to write them? Who amongst us can discern between spiritual realities nowadays?

I admit, not I. This spring, we tapped our maple trees, we did not know which ones were maples…so somebody who knew came to help choose which ones to tap. Now when the sap comes we can taste it and test that it is indeed maple syrup. It is the same with the spirits, we may be blind as to whom is whom, but we can see their fruits,  we can test them and see if our lives are filling with joy or love or patience, etc…, or if on the contrary, our lives are getting more tempted and more sinful.

I think the approach that the Plain people make of art is a cautious one, they do plenty of poetry, writing, singing, quilting, card-making, white and black drawing , cooking…, yet they reserve the priority of artistic expression to the result that it brings, they ask: Does it bring me closer to God? Does it make me follow Christ’s  steps more closely?

In my particular life I had to ask this question, and unfortunately it was not a positive answer. I say unfortunately because I used to paint and write poetry and also surround myself to all kinds of beauty. Yet the more I looked at it the more it hindered my spiritual life. For example amid beautiful pieces of religious art, instead of being in a state of devotion to God it made me be in a state of devotion to self, pride was puffing up. When I would start a painting also, it made me center my thoughts, will and heart to it, and it would become an obsession to finish the piece of art, though children needed me to help, or meals needed to be done, the painting was more important. When writing, the sentences would float in my mind until weary, after days of carrying them in my sleep, I would write them down and gave them form, etc…..Was that  helping me to follow God’s will in my daily life? We all know the examples of great artists who had poor relationships with their fellow men, it seems somehow that these two things go pieced together back to front. As one goes forward the other goes backward.

 Looking also at different homes, how we have homes and our dressing attire is an expression of art, sometimes the more beautiful the houses, the less beautiful  the heart. What does it all mean? Is the lust of the eye making us be blind to the natural beauty? Is some kind a beauty alluring us away from God?

Well, again, trying not to generalize, there are always exceptions to this, and in any rate it is based on my only perspective and observation, yet it reckons to be pondered, is really art helpful in our age? Does it help us to become closer to God? Or is it just a mirror of our vanity? What is really the inspiration? What would have to change in order that we would reach God again in a direct form? What art would look like for the man in the 21st century  if it is to give glory to God and not to other spirits?

When in some schools I see the art welling up so naturally their curriculum, and see their children so much in self, I can’t  but wonder, is this really the way to better humankind? What are we doing wrong? Are we too inclined to Luciferic ways, to pride? When I see the lack of artistic will in the plain people, and I see their children so much learned in self-denial, I can’t but wonder, is really art in the way? Are they just being over-protective? Is there any inclination to Ahrimanic ways, to Fear?

If I have to choose between art and heart, I choose heart. But yet again maybe I do not have to choose and it is just my ignorance in things.

No comments:

Post a Comment